Disclosure of silent numbers
- published in the White Pages directories, and
- disclosed by directory services.
Others told us their caller ID blocks were removed without notice.
How we handled the issue
Each separate complaint was referred to the telco, which acknowledged the complaint and responded according to the individual impact on each customer. The telco’s responses included apologies, refunds of silent line charges and relocation assistance for those who could prove they were threatened as a result of the disclosure of their silent number.
- increased training for staff to ensure understanding of the company’s privacy obligations
- outlined its approach to reducing human error, including a review to identify processes that may have led to a disclosure of their customers’ personal information, and
- informed us about its Australian-based team that specialised in responding to serious privacy complaints in cases of domestic abuse.
We were satisfied with the provider’s response and the efforts it demonstrated to address its customers’ concerns. As a result, we closed the investigation.